HOW DO YOU PROTECT YOURSELF WHEN BUYING A CAR LIFT ON THE INTERNET?
It is a true fact that the majority of automotive lifts sold in the U.S. today, up to 15,000 pound capacity, are manufactured overseas.Â China has become the primary supplier of car lifts to the American distributors.Â Cheap labor and high technical capabilities have given the Chinese a huge price advantage over American manufacturers.
While many people want to purchase American made products, in the case of the car lift it is not economical.Â An American made automotive lift will cost two or three times the price of an imported lift.Â So the question becomes, if you buy an import, how can you be assured that you will get a quality product that will perform safely?
The answer of course is to buy your automotive lift from a reputable company.Â There are many internet sellers that are here today and gone tomorrow.Â They provide no service, no warranty, and no expertise.Â They do not stock the car lifts they sell and have little access to replacement parts.
Take the following steps to be sure that you are dealing with a reputable company:
- Get their warranty policy in writing.Â Find out what is covered and for how long.
- Ask for a certificate of insurance from the car lift distributor.Â Remember, if there is an accident with your car lift, you will not have the ability to file a claim with a foreign manufacturer.Â Your only recourse will be from the distributor.
- Ask to speak with someone in the service and technical department.Â Find out what kind of support is available during installation or if a problem arises.Â Ask about the availability of replacement parts.
- Find out how quickly your car lift will ship and where it will ship from.Â If it takes more than two weeks, then there may be a problem.
- Pay only by credit card.Â This will allow you the opportunity to charge back the seller if they do not provide the product or service promised.Â Also, do not allow the seller to process your card before your car lift is shipped.
Another consideration is an Automotive Lift Institute (ALI) certified lift.Â This is a car lift that has been manufactured to meet the requirements of the ALI.Â This process has been attested to by the Edison Testing Laboratory (ETL).Â An ALI certified car lift will cost more than a non-certified car lift, but you will have the assurance that the product has been manufactured to industry established specifications.
Eagle Equipment Co. has been a leader in the automotive lift industry for over 50 years.Â We sell only quality car lift products manufactured in the U.S. and China.Â We personally visit and inspect every automotive lift factory that we purchase products from, whether here or abroad.Â As always, we stand behind every product that we sell.Â Know who you are dealing with!