HOW DO YOU PROTECT YOURSELF WHEN BUYING A CAR LIFT ON THE INTERNET?
It is a true fact that the majority of automotive lifts sold in the U.S. today, up to 15,000 pound capacity, are manufactured overseas.¬† China has become the primary supplier of car lifts to the American distributors.¬† Cheap labor and high technical capabilities have given the Chinese a huge price advantage over American manufacturers.
While many people want to purchase American made products, in the case of the car lift it is not economical.¬† An American made automotive lift will cost two or three times the price of an imported lift.¬† So the question becomes, if you buy an import, how can you be assured that you will get a quality product that will perform safely?
The answer of course is to buy your automotive lift from a reputable company.¬† There are many internet sellers that are here today and gone tomorrow.¬† They provide no service, no warranty, and no expertise.¬† They do not stock the car lifts they sell and have little access to replacement parts.
Take the following steps to be sure that you are dealing with a reputable company:
- Get their warranty policy in writing.¬† Find out what is covered and for how long.
- Ask for a certificate of insurance from the car lift distributor.¬† Remember, if there is an accident with your car lift, you will not have the ability to file a claim with a foreign manufacturer.¬† Your only recourse will be from the distributor.
- Ask to speak with someone in the service and technical department.¬† Find out what kind of support is available during installation or if a problem arises.¬† Ask about the availability of replacement parts.
- Find out how quickly your car lift will ship and where it will ship from.¬† If it takes more than two weeks, then there may be a problem.
- Pay only by credit card.¬† This will allow you the opportunity to charge back the seller if they do not provide the product or service promised.¬† Also, do not allow the seller to process your card before your car lift is shipped.
Another consideration is an Automotive Lift Institute (ALI) certified lift.¬† This is a car lift that has been manufactured to meet the requirements of the ALI.¬† This process has been attested to by the Edison Testing Laboratory (ETL).¬† An ALI certified car lift will cost more than a non-certified car lift, but you will have the assurance that the product has been manufactured to industry established specifications.
Eagle Equipment Co. has been a leader in the automotive lift industry for over 50 years.¬† We sell only quality car lift products manufactured in the U.S. and China.¬† We personally visit and inspect every automotive lift factory that we purchase products from, whether here or abroad.¬† As always, we stand behind every product that we sell.¬† Know who you are dealing with!